Krispy Kreme is doing a BOGO Free Dozen this week, 3/1 thru 3/7. Pick up OR online ordering. Deets here.
SNAP Shellfish Ghost Kitchen, Order for Delivery Only, Now Delivering.
Ghost kitchens are basically restaurants without a brick & mortar location, where all they do is serve via delivery and pop ups. Read more about them on AxiosCLT here. This ghost kitchen SNAP Shellfish comes from the folks at Sea Level and features seafood menu items like Lobsterrito, Lobster + Crab Taquitos, and Shrimp Rolls, all available for delivery from Postmates, UberEats, and DoorDash.
The Warmack in Plaza Midwood, 1226 Central Ave. (formerly Pint Central)
A team of experienced restaurateurs opened this new, upscale spot on Central Ave. including an executive chef formerly with Yama who also owns Bonsai in the 7th Street Market and an owner / operator formerly of The Capital Grille.
The 1,100-square-foot restaurant serves Asian comfort food – including rice bowls and bao buns, specialty cocktails and (once curfews are lifted) late-night banh mi. A chef’s tasting menu, featuring a wagyu dish, will be offered nightly.
The Vintage Whiskey & Cigar Bar now open at 215 E. Worthington Ave. (previously Iron Tribe Fitness)
This new South End private club offers members the opportunity to enjoy a craft espresso and cigar duo during work hours and transition into the evening with an innovative cocktail or pint of local beer from our full bar. They plan to offer entertaining and educational pairing events to the membership in the future. General memberships ($20) can be signed up for in-person and online.
Shake Shack opens a location in Huntersville this week at 16633 Birkdale Commons Parkway in Birkdale Landing, across from Birkdale Village. Opens Tuesday March 2 at 11 am.
- Supperland opens Wednesday March 3rd in Plaza Midwood.
From the owners of NoDa favorites Crepe Cellar and Haberdish, among others, comes Supperland, which will focus on regional Southern cuisine served in a renovated historic church. The kitchen will be run by Executive Chef, Chris Rogienski, who is currently the Sous Chef at Haberdish.
- Orto opening any day now in NoDa in March at 416 E. 36th in the same building as Jeni’s and Wooden Robot.
Coming from local chef / owner Paul Verica of The Stanley (and Heritage, closed now) this simple Italian spot will showcase pasta and pizza along with salads, sandwiches and other entrees. Local mixologist Amanda Britton (Bardo & VANA) will head up the cocktail offerings, lots of Italian favorites.
- Tipsy Taco opens mid month in the old Cantina 1511 spot in Stonecrest.
Tex Mex with a twist out of Greenville SC, Tipsy Taco opens soon at 7708 Rae Rd. Charlotte, NC 28277 beside FireBirds.
- The Moffett Restaurant Group (Good Food, Barrington’s, Stagioni) announced it will close NC Red but will turn over the old Penguin building in Plaza Midwood to Frank Scibelli (Mama Ricottas, YAFO, Midwood Smokehouse) who will be opening the Calle Sol Latin Café and Cevicheria. Calle Sol will serve Cuban classics, ceviches and classic Peruvian dishes and a rum-heavy cocktail program (Mojitos, Cuba Libres, Piscos Sours, etc.)
- Fave 7th Street Market pop up restaurant Jimmy’s Pearls closed this past weekend, but owners are reportedly looking for a permanent location. We can’t wait to see what Hampton Roads , Virginia natives and Johnson & Wales Alumni Chef Daryl Cooper and Chef Oscar Johnson have in store. Their southern food with Virginia soul will be missed until the new spot opens.
Opening Announcements for Spring
- 5 Church Restaurant Group announced they’ve acquired and will re-open local favorite La Belle Helene, which closed during the Covid Quarantine. Stay Tuned!
- The owners of Lulu’s Maryland Style Chicken & Seafood announced they’re opening a new Bar & Lounge, HideAway, this spring in west Charlotte.
- Morelia Gourmet Paletas, a a gourmet Mexican popsicle shop out of Miami known for its fresh ingredients and extensive menu will open in South End this spring, next to Wooden Robot. You’ll choose from up to 16 popsicle flavors including Pistachio, Passion Fruit, Belgian Chocolate, Banana filled with Nutella with toppings like s’mores, marshmallow fluff torched, and Nutella drizzle. To differentiate itself from other ice cream shops, the unique experience consists of the following process: 1) Pick it, 2) Dip it, 3) Top it.
March Food To Do’s
ICYMI, which how could you, but anyways, the state of NC loosened some going out restrictions this past week.
- Bars and nightclubs can now open with 30% capacity indoors.
- On site alcohol sale cutoff moved to 11pm.
- Cocktails to go has been extended.
- The 10pm curfew is lifted
Featured March Event: Univ City Food Truck Fridays at Armored Cow Brewing
Starting Friday, March 19, Food Trucks and Local Artists & Makers will gather for shopping local and munching on delicious grub from a rotating list of food trucks, all while enjoying your favorite brews from Armored Cow. LIST OF VENDORS FOR THE MARCH 19 EVENT HERE.
Get in on the Board Mania and learn from one of the QC’s best at this Skillpop: MARCH 4, 2021 · 7:00 PM – 8:15 PM
Cheese not your thing? Learn how to make pasta, gnocchi, pie dough, empanadas & much much more with Skillpop this month.
$2 off At Jersey Mike’s in support of Isabella Santos Foundation
Jersey Mike’s Month of Giving starts with $2 off any @jerseymikes sub in-store or through the Jersey Mike’s app with promo code MOG2OFF. The greater Charlotte area Jersey Mike’s will be supporting the Isabella Santos Foundation all month long. (This $2 Offer valid 3/2 – 3/8)
The Whisky Club is back at Ballantyne.
Monthly tasting designed to bring whiskey lovers together for socialization and education. March 5 at 6:30 pm at The Ryal ~ 4 from the Glenmorangie single malt family: Ten Year, Lasanta (12 year sherry cask finish), Quinta Ruban (14 year port cask finish), and Nectar D’Or (Sauternes cask finish) all paired with small bites. $65.00 per person. Reservations may be made by calling 704-248-4100
Get Free Food & Fun Stuff when you see the I Heart Rail Trail lights this weekend.
- Central Coffee to give free hot chocolate + coffee: 5-6pm
- Enjoy free hot chocolate & coffee at Central Coffee from 5-6 p.m.
- Find 1 of 10 candles hidden on the Rail Trail by Brown Sugar Collab
- Receive 1 of 100 free roses from Bookout Blooms at the South End Farmer’s Market at Atherton Mill
- Get a free doughnut by being one of the first 100 Pepperbox Doughnuts customers to show a picture of the new “Art you Heart” the most.
Don’t Miss the Piedmont Culinary Guild Food & Beverage Symposium, Virtual This Year. Through March 21.
Piedmont Culinary Guild is bringing back its Food & Beverage Symposium, presented as four online sessions on consecutive Sundays. You can attend the streaming events live – as well as receive exclusive access to the recorded sessions to view at your convenience whenever you’d like. Just $30 gets you all four sessions! (Or you can register for a single session for $15)
Build Your Own Bloody Bar
Spindle Bar in Optimist Hall has re-launched their Sunday Build Your Own Bloody Mary Bar to go with Sunday Brunch offerings (altho during covid restrictions, they’ll build it for you)
Spindle Bar has also released a special cocktail this month, to give back to two organizations that are instrumental to our community, especially with recently helping those who had to vacate Tent City. The cocktail is “14 to flatten the Curve” made with blueberry, gin, cinnamon, and lemon for $11 and $1 of every cocktail sold this March will be donated to Hearts Beat as One & Urban Ministry, up to $500 per organization.
Learn all about mushroom producing fungi, how to grow your own mushrooms and how to forage for them.
TASTE OF LAKE NORMAN mini food fest
Hosted by Primal Brewing, on Saturday, March 27, 2021 at 1 – 6 PM, the Taste of Lake Norman is a mini food festival showcasing some of LKN’s best restaurateur’s. Stay posted at the event link on FB = https://www.facebook.com/events/220111752750535