The holidays mean many different things to people, but one thing is certain, The Guests Are Coming. Tis the season for family to visit, so it’s a good time to take stock of your sleeping quarters for your guests. There are a few simple touches that can go a long way to making family and friends feel at home in your home. (After all, you may be thankful to have your guests spend a little time out of the family room and in their own space, yes?)
The design and entertaining experts always recommend you actually SLEEP in your own Guest BR a few times to see how it feels and works. If your husband snores, you may find yourself sleeping in there more often than you’d like! Even more reason to make sure it’s guest-worthy, and stock up on a holiday supply of Mack’s Ear plugs 🙂
Many homeowners use their guest room(s) as storage for over-flow and seasonal items. This is totally expected; however, providing space for your guests to unpack and put their clothing and toiletries is simple courtesy, and will keep them out of your summer and skinny jeans clothing storage, Easter Decorations and Baby Photos. Consider at minimum a nice luggage rack and an over-the-door hanging rod for the closet if it is full.
Other key items to make any guest feel comfortable during their stay:
- A full length mirror
- A basket to collect the decorative accent pillows off the bed
- Bedside tables with empty drawers for your guests to use
- Lamps on both bedside tables
- An alarm clock by the bed. Not everyone likes to use their phone
- Speaking of, a charging station. Or an alarm click with a charging station
- A place to sit and a place to set
- A pretty throw and extra blankets
- Pillows with both down and non allergenic fill in varying degrees of softness
- A stack of clean towels, two per person, plus wash cloths and hand towels
- A waste paper basket
- Fully functioning window treatments, whether curtains, shutters, blinds or shades. For privacy and darkness.
Lauren Clement of Lauren Nicole Designs recommends the taking the time for these additional easy-to-do touches to elevate your guest bedroom to a happy haven.
- A tray or bowl or basket for personal belongings, either on the nightstand or on the dresser, as a place for jewelry and other personal items is a nice touch.
- A few extraneous items like local magazines, your guests’ favorite sweet snacks, and some posh soaps and lotions to make them feel special.
- Splurge on plush towels for the bathroom and luxurious bed linens ~ after all, they won’t get too much use and will last forever.
- Fresh flowers or greenery in the room.
We shopped the Charlotte home stores for some useful and beautiful Guest Bedroom items to make your house as comfortable as any wonderful hotel, and as homey as home.
For the most elegant and guest-worthy bedding in the Queen City then the always classic Bedside Manor is the place. From pajamas to sheets to duvets and amazing down products, and even gifts ~ a visit to Bedside is a must on your checklist.