Bedside Manor is having a Scandia Down Pillow Sale starting on Wednesday 4/15 with 20% off ~ order online here for delivery.
This got us thinking, we acquired our down bedding at various stages ~ newly married, new baby, new house, re-decorating the guest rooms, etc. but all of it quite a while ago. Is it time to buy new pillows or comforters?
A simple test to tell when your down pillow needs replacing
When your pillows are flat or hard, you’re ready for a new one. Try the following test:
- Lay your pillow on a hard surface.
- Fold the pillow in half and squeeze the air out of it (fold a king in thirds).
- When you release your pillow if it unfolds and returns to its original position than your pillow is in good condition.
Why bother? Well, when a pillow wears out, it stops providing the support you need for a restful night’s sleep. Depending on the pillow and material it could need replacing every 1-10 years ~ with down and feather pillows lasting 5-10 and most synthetics 1-2 years.
Caring for your pillows and down products helps prolong their “life expectancy”
Down and Feather pillows can be washed regularly, and this can and should be done every 6 months. Here’s the best way to wash your down pillows at home:
- Place two pillows in the washer (washing two helps to balance the load) with a tablespoon of dish detergent or linen wash. These products are preferred, as they cut grease, and basically body oils are grease and build up in a pillow.
- Wash with a double spin and rinse cycle to remove as much water as possible.
- After washing place the pillows in your dryer with two dryer balls.
- Remove the pillow after thirty minutes to fluff and place back in the dryer until completely dry.
- The dryer method is preferred as it will assure that your pillow is completely dry all the way through. Wet feathers can cause mold and mildew build up.
Fill power facts & myths:
Three (3) Fill power Myths:
- The higher the fill power the firmer the pillow. NOT True.
- The higher the fill power the heavier the pillow. NOT True.
- The higher the fill power the higher the fill weight. NOT True.
Fill power facts:
- The higher the fill power the larger the down clusters.
- The larger the down cluster the higher the quality.
- The higher the quality the longer it will retain its loft and firmness.
- The larger the down cluster the more air it traps.
- The larger the down cluster the higher it will loft.
- The larger the down cluster the better the insulating power.
- The larger the down cluster the lighter the down pillow, down comforter or feather bed will be.
What is fill power in Down Pillows:
Fill power represents quality, loft and how long a pillow will retain its firmness. The higher the fill power the higher the quality, the higher it will loft and the longer it will “retain its firmness” (i.e. years it will last). DO NOT use fill power as a “measure of firmness”, 800 fill power down pillows are NOT firmer than 600 fill power down pillows. However, the 800 fill power pillow is higher quality and will last longer. Firmness (i.e. soft, medium, firm, extra firm) is determined by fill weight, adjusted by the amount of down inside the pillow shell.
Why choose Scandia Down?
All down is the undercoating of a waterfowl. Down is found at the base of the feather and is designed to keep the bird warm. Scandia Down conforms to the Responsible Down Standards or RDS. Scandia fills are NEVER sourced from animals subjected to inhumane feeding and harvesting practices. All of their down itself is traceable back to the originating farms.
Scandia Down sources exceptional quality European down and adheres to the highest standards in the industry for down cleanliness. Scandia Down products contain only premium down that has been thoroughly cleaned and sanitized to exacting specifications. The meticulous 12-stage cleaning process ensures that Scandia Down products are virtually hypo-allergenic.
Buy Your New Scandia Down Bedding at Bedside Manor at 20% off.
The sale runs April 15 through May 9, 2020 and delivery is available, and free of charge for purchases over $175.00. Bedside Manor is currently open from Monday-Friday 10a-1p for curbside pick-up, and always open online.