School starts on Monday, August 26, but believe it or not, there’s still time to enroll your student. Maybe you just moved here, maybe you just realized your little one can start pre-k or kindergarten, maybe a change of scene is in order…it happens. Whatever the reason, it’s pretty straightforward to enroll, and there’s a ton of info on the CMS enrollment website.
Here’s how to enroll for the 2019-2020 school year at CMS:
First Things First:
Currently enrolled students do not need to re-enroll.
If you’ve got a kindergarten aged child (5 years old by August 31) or pre-k ready child (4 years old by August 31), your first step is to locate your school. You have a HOME school based on your home address for early, middle and high school.
Gather Your Paperwork
You’ll need several documents to apply ~ click the links to download them:
- New Student Enrollment Form
- Birth certificate or other proof of age
- Legal name proofs of Mecklenburg County residency (FAQ here)
- Safe Schools Enrollment Declaration – (Required for students transferring into CMS)
- Current immunization records (Complete record required by first day of school entry)
- Health Assessment (All children entering NC public schools for the first time must submit proof of a health assessment within 30 days of the start of school.)
- Health assessment and immunization requirements for school attendance
Got It All Together? That’s about it.
You’re ready to enroll. Turn your enrollment application in to your home school. Call (980) 343-5335 if you have any questions.
But What about Language Immersion, IB and Magnet Schools?
CMS also offers a number of school options available via their School Choice Lottery. The 2019 school year lottery is closed and the 2020 year lottery opens later this fall. PLEASE NOTE: Your child must be enrolled in CMS before you can apply for the school choice lottery.