Anthony Hamilton, Umphrey’s McGee, and the Bleachers are among the headliners in the 75+ Events of Charlotte SHOUT!, a two week long Festival celebrating art, music, food and ideas in the heart of Uptown Charlotte.
What Is Charlotte SHOUT! ??
Charlotte SHOUT! is a huge Uptown Festival, spread out over more than 2 weeks, featuring music, art, creative expression, food, drink and so much more ~ it’s hard to write it all up in one article. [foreshadowing] Dozens of local artists, musicians, chefs, and thought leaders will join renowned talent from around the world, like Grammy winning musician Anthony Hamilton, for performances, installations and attractions in locations throughout Uptown from 4/24 through 5/11.
“Charlotte SHOUT! is going to be nothing like this city has ever seen,” said Robert Krumbine, Chief Creative Officer for Charlotte Center City Partners, which is producing the festival. “We are so excited to celebrate our amazing local talent and allow all Charlotteans to experience incredible artists and thought leaders from around the world.”
When is Charlotte SHOUT! ??
Charlotte SHOUT! begins with the Charlotte Jazz Festival, April 27-May 4. and concludes with a creative convergence May 9-11 across Uptown featuring a wide array of art installations, performances, food and drink, and inspiring conversation. Some details:
The SHOUT! Music Scene:
- Nearly 20 events affiliated with the Charlotte Jazz Festival, including performances by legendary trumpeter Wynton Marsalis and the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra.
- Atrium Health headline stage at Romare Bearden Park featuring concerts from multiple acts each evening, from 5-11 p.m., May 9-11
- Music stage at 7th and Tryon featuring performances by local and regional acts with an R&B focus including:
- DJ Fannie Mae
- The Hamiltones
- The Queen’s Guard
- Maimouna Youssef featuring The XMen
- Curt Keyz featuring Greg Cox and Jason Jet
- Sy Smith featuring Rhythm4U Band
- The CLT DJ Battle will feature local DJs competing at Convergence Plaza at Trade & Tryon
The SHOUT! Arts Scene:
- Talking Walls Charlotte will work with three local artists to paint murals in three key locations in the SHOUT! festival footprint
- About Face Charlotte will produce The Future is Now!, a large-scale, multimedia, interactive installation featuring photographs of 250 children in Charlotte displayed on the façade of the Main Library building
- LED light art project Constellation by Christopher Schardt at Convergence Plaza at Trade & Tryon
- Internationally-renowned light installations including the Parer Studio bunnies on the Wells Fargo Green, lighted see-saws of Impulse on Levine Avenue of the Arts, Prismatica “A Modern Ice Palace” on Tryon Street and Entre Les Rangs “Urban Field of Crystal Stems” at First Ward Park
- Blumenthal Performing Arts has booked additional talent and performances including One Man Circus David Dimitri and Tall Tales of the High Seas
The SHOUT! Ideas Scene:
- National keynote speakers
- PechaKucha-style program facilitated by Manoj Kesavan
- Queen City Podcast Network stage at CoCo and the Director
- The Biscuit + Beats Bar, hosted by Charlotte is Creative, to help festival attendees decide which SHOUT! programming to check out next, while being entertained by line-up of local DJs
There will be lots more info coming out on the SHOUT! Food Scene and additional acts, installations, performances and events, so stay tuned.
Most SHOUT! events will be free, and TICKETS ARE NOW ON SALE for those bigger acts that do require tickets; also available by phone at 704-372-1000; or in person at the Belk Theater Box office at 130 N. Tryon Street.
This year’s iteration of Charlotte SHOUT! is distinguished as the grand finale of CLT250, a community-led engagement, presented by Atrium Health, in partnership with the City of Charlotte, the Arts & Science Council, Charlotte Center City Partners, Charlotte Regional Business Alliance, Charlotte Mecklenburg Library, CMS Foundation, Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority, Foundation For The Carolinas.