Can we all agree that a juicy tomato is summer’s gift to us? I think we can. Tomatoes and summer are synonymous in my book, so make sure you get them while they’re ripe! Missing tomato season is a tragic mistake I’ve made in the past, so please learn from me.
My all time favorite tomato “recipe” (if you can even call it that) is a simple tomato sandwich. It’s such a southern classic: thick sliced tomatoes sandwiched between soft white bread slathered in mayo with a healthy dose of salt and pepper… you can’t beat it! But I’ve been looking for ways to lighten up that classic tomato sandwich so that I don’t want to take a nap after eating it for lunch. My solution? Caprese toast! Here’s how you do it:
Summer Tomato Caprese Toast Recipe
- 1 thick slice sourdough bread, drizzled with olive oil & toasted
- 2 slices fresh mozzarella
- 3 slices heirloom tomatoes
- 3 basil leaves
- salt & pepper, to taste
- olive oil, to taste
- Once your bread is golden and toasted, alternate adding slices of tomato, basil, and mozzarella.
- Season with salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil
- If you’re looking for a little extra kick, add a drizzle of balsamic glaze
Here are 6 more recipes to try this summer:
- Savory Goat Cheese Tomato Pie by Wry Toast
- Crispy Parmesan Tomato Chips by Sugar Free Mom
- Pico de Gallo by The Girl Who Ate Everything
- Tomato Mozzarella Salad with Balsamic Reduction by Little Broken
- Heirloom Tomato & Herb Salad with Fried Chickpeas & Capers by
- Avocado, Onion, and Tomato Salad by
Not sure where to find the best tomatoes this season? Your best bet for Heirloom tomatoes would be Whole Foods or of course favorite Farmer’s Market. Harris Teeter occasionally has them as well. And if you see a roadside stand, it’s a personal rule of mine to always stop and pick up a bag full of ‘maters. Happy eating!