Summer in Charlotte means families beating the heat in their nearest swimming pool. To get the kids ready for the big splash, lots of parents book swimming lessons at a local club or with a private tutor.
But swim lessons are more than just a fun summer activity. According to a study by the National Institute of Health, swimming lessons are an important part of drowning prevention, even for kids as young as 1 year old. Many Charlotte instructors and clubs offer swim lessons starting at 6 months old (with mom or dad in the water along with baby, of course).
Kids take lessons to learn how to swim, to learn the various strokes, to improve their performance and to prep for the all-important summer swim meet season. Here are a few of our favorite spots in the QC for kids to get swim lessons in Charlotte:
Swim MAC (Mecklenburg Aquatic Club)
Established as the Mecklenburg Aquatic Club in 1977, the MAC has grown from a small competitive team into a highly-regarded organization that provides aquatic instruction and training for nearly 10,000 people in the Charlotte region each year.
• Charlotte Latin campus: 9850 Providence Road (also Huntersville and Concord locations)
• Ages six months and older
• Small class sizes, tailored to student’s ability and comfort level with water
• Schedule and pricing here
• Register here
The folks at Charlotte Aquatics have been teaching swim lessons to children and adults since 1996. They aim to create a love for swimming, promote water safety and encourage positive character development. They also bring the “fun” with an underwater sound system.
• 7835 Little Ave.
• Ages 30 months and older
• Classes are separated by level and ability
• Private lessons also available; they run either four or eight weeks at a time in the summer.
• Check out the registration calendar here.
Aquatic Team of Mecklenburg (ATOM)
ATOM is a competitive year-round swim team for swimmers of all ages and abilities. The team practices at Mecklenburg County Aquatic Center and Fairmeadows Swim Club from September through the end of July. They also offer swim classes called ATOMites for beginning swimmers who need work on all four strokes, as well as swim lessons for swimmers of all ages and abilities.
• Fairmeadows Swim Club: 2800 Eastburn Road
• Instructors can give lessons to swimmers of all ages
• The ATOMites class is tailored for swimmers ages 5 through 9, and they must go through an evaluation with a coach before joining the class
• Contact an instructor directly to set up lessons; price will vary based on instructor
Little Otter Swim School
Little Otter Swim School provides families with an alternative to “typical” swim lessons: year-round, small group instruction in a warm indoor swimming pool where parents can watch their children’s progress from the comfortable viewing gallery.
• 8200 Tower Point Drive, Matthews and 14415 Reese Blvd., Huntersville
• Ages 6 months and older
• Tuition for classes is $75/month (with a $35 annual registration fee) for a 30-minute weekly class.
• Sibling discount available
• Register here
Charlotte Swim Academy
Charlotte Swim Academy has been around since 1991, and more than 25,000 students have become successful swimmers under the tutelage of founder Martha Sue Crowley and her staff.
• 9315-A Monroe Road
• 18 months and older
• Class descriptions here
• Registration starts Jan. 23
Aqua-Tots Swim Schools
The Ballantyne location of this worldwide franchise swim school teaches kids as young as four months and offers a variety of class times in the morning, afternoon and evening for parents’ convenience.
• 11926 Providence Road West, Suite E-4
• Ages four months and older
• Tuition starts at $84 for one day a week; staff recommends at least two days a week for optimal learning.
• Learn more about swim programs here.
YMCA of Greater Charlotte
YMCAs all over the city offer a variety of pools and certified instructors who can teach both children and adults the fundamentals of swimming. They offer group lessons, private lessons and swim teams for all ages.
• Ages six months and older; classes vary based on each student’s swim stage
• Determine your child’s swim stage here.
• Tuition varies based on which Y branch you choose and whether you are a YMCA member.