Recipe brought to you by Slice of Jess
FOOD TRUCK FARE from your own FRIDGE
Food Truck: [foo-duh Tra-uck] A roaming, mobile food eatery that journeys around the city cooking delicious food with exotic ingredients. What’s not to love here, folks? They’re fun , typically a little funky and always friendly.
Bahn Mi: [Bun-mee] The party-in-your-mouth, culinary love child, that hatched during the French influence on the Vietnamese food scene. Pho-real, if you haven’t tried this flavorful fusion fare, you need to get a move on it. (Speaking of Pho, Bahn Mi and Pho would make a lip-smacking soup and sandwich combo.)
CHICKEN BAHN MI SANDWICHES
For the Mayo: (I like to call this “Pickled” Mayo)
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. Rice Vinegar
- 1 tsp. Ginger, grated (can add up to 2 tsp. if you prefer)
- 2 tbsp. Fresh Basil, minced (about 6 leaves)
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- Juice of half a Lemon
For the Sandwich: (makes 2)
- 2 French Rolls, sliced in half & toasted
- 2 Chicken Breasts, pan-fried with Spices of choice (I suggest Garlic Powder, Paprika, Chili Powder, S + P)
- 1 tbsp. Butter (for pan-frying)
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil (for pan-frying)
- 6 Radishes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 Cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 cup Carrots, cut into matchsticks (helpful hint: you can buy these already prepared at the grocery store)
- 1/2 bunch Cilantro, chopped
- 1/4th Red Onion, sliced (not a traditional ingredient, but tasty)
- 1 fresh Jalapeño, sliced & seeded (optional)
- Prepare the Pickled Mayo in a medium bowl and set in the refrigerator until you are ready to assemble the Sandwiches.
- Pan-fry seasoned Chicken Breasts in a skillet over medium-high heat for 6-8 minutes with Olive Oil and Butter.
- Slice and toast the French Rolls.
- Now you’re ready to assemble the Sandwiches. Layer the French Rolls as follows:
- Pickled Mayo on the bottom
- Pickled Mayo on top
Brought to you by
Jessica Bentley of SliceofJess.com