Wearing a wide-brimmed hat at the pool or beach is not only much better for your skin, but has also become a must-have chic accessory. After seeing a much more expensive version of this hat all over the internet and then a couple tutorials about how to DIY one, I decided it was easy enough that I could handle it. And let me assure you: I am not crafty. Most of my early DIY projects were colossal fails until I realized I was taking on big projects and needed to just stick with the simple ones. This project was one of the easiest I’ve ever done. There are only three steps and four items needed!
1. Hat – you can find anywhere of course, but Target has a nice inexpensive supply right now.
2. Glue – make sure it’s a thick, gel-like glue if your hat has ridges like mine does. Otherwise the glue will just seep into the cracks (I ended up using Gorilla Super Glue Gel – $4.99 at Lowes, not shown).
3. Pen or Pencil
4. Sequins (I found mine at Michael’s for $1.99 per bag and only used one bag).
1. Draw your letters out first, ensuring they’re even and placed how you want them.
2. Add some glue, working in small batches (I typically did one letter at a time).
3. Add sequins
And you’re done. I’m not kidding. It was really that easy. I haven’t had any sequins fall off yet and am super happy with the end result. If you would like to try this super simple DIY, here are some more fun taglines you could use: “Yes Way, Vacay”, “Come Sail Away”, “On Island Time” , “I’m So Busy”, “Dear Summer” and (my personal favorite, one of the best lines from Sex and the City) “Mama Needs a Cocktail.” Enjoy!
Originally from Ohio, Jen has called North Carolina home for 18 years. A local stylist, she can be found shopping with clients, enjoying time with family or reading a fashion magazine poolside. For more styling tips, check out her Instagram or visit www.charlotteshopgirl.com.