These recipes brought to you by PUPPIES & BRUNCH.
It’s official ~ no matter what the calendar says, summer grilling season is officially here! I’ve never been a master griller, but there’s not much better than sitting outside having a summer cocktail and cooking a meal on the grill. When I was a kid, I hated almost everything that came off of the grill (it might have had something to do with my dad’s uncanny ability to burn things, but don’t tell him I said so). Things have changed as I’ve gotten older and I’m a huge fan of the grill these days. But the one grill meal I have always, always, always loved- Grilled Hawaiian Chicken Sandwiches.
My grandparents lived in Athens, GA and almost every time we visited we would eat these sandwiches. My dad would fire up the grill in my grandparent’s huge backyard and my siblings and I would play wiffle ball while we waited for dinner. It was always such a happy time having everyone outside chatting and laughing- the adults with a beer and the kids chugging capri suns. Some of my fondest memories of my grandparents are centered around that backyard grill.
With Father’s Day just around the corner, my dad has requested this for his Father’s Day meal, and I can’t say I’m surprised! They’re a family favorite and I think they’ll become one for your family too. These Grilled Hawaiian Chicken Sandwiches are the perfect grill meal. The pineapple makes it feel summery and the swiss cheese adds the melty goodness that every grill meal should have. It might sound like an odd combination (I was hesitant to try it for the first time as a kid), but once you make it, it will quickly become a regular on your summer menu!
What are your favorite things to cook with your Dad? Any favorite grill meals? Summer has just started so I’m looking for more things to add to my grilling list. Leave me a comment and I’ll try out some of your favorites next!
– 2 chicken breasts, pounded to 1/2 inch thick & cut in half (make 4 sandwich sized pieces)
– 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
– 4 slices of pineapple, canned
– 4 slices of swiss cheese
– 4 potato rolls, buttered and lightly toasted
– mayonnaise, to taste
– marinate the halved chicken breasts in the teriyaki for at least 20 minutes (longer if you have time!)
– set a grill to medium heat
– place chicken on grill and cook through, about 5-6 minutes per side
– grill the pineapple slices lightly, about 1 minute per side
– place the pineapple slice on top of the chicken breast
– top with a slice of swiss cheese
– close grill lid for about 30 seconds to allow cheese to melt
– spread mayonnaise on your toasted buns and top with chicken
I sometimes add iceberg lettuce and tomato, but it’s totally optional! They are delicious as is. Waffle fries and fruit salad are great side items for these Grilled Hawaiian Chicken Sandwiches. Enjoy!
Kate was born and raised in Atlanta, GA and is a recent addition to the Queen City. When she’s not in the kitchen experimenting, you can find her cuddled up with a cookbook and her loyal pup, Tuck. To see more of what she’s cooking up- check out her Instagram or visit puppiesandbrunch.com