This week’s recipe brought to you by PUPPIES AND BRUNCH .
My mom is an angel- and one hell of a cook. She put up with 4 rambunctious kids with more grace than The Princess of Monaco. But one of my favorite things about my mom was that every year, without fail, she made sure we felt so special on our birthday. It was the day we were born, and she made sure we were celebrated to the fullest extent.
So every year we got to pick our favorite meal and she would cook it for dinner on our birthday. Each meal was completely unique to the kid- ranging from pork tenderloin and fried okra to Chinese noodle salad. But the one common ground- this dessert. My mom had endless desserts up her sleeve but we never chose something other than this chocolate trifle. In fact, instead of calling it by it’s formal name, my entire family calls it ‘Family Dessert‘ now.
This dessert is super simple to throw together, but the end result is stunning. There’s something about layers that make people lose it. And oh baby does this have layers. Chocolatey, rich, toffee filled layers. People will think you spent hours in the kitchen putting this bad boy together. So go ahead- fool your dinner guests, I won’t tell!
– 1 box brownie mix (family size)
– 1 (3.9 oz) box instant chocolate pudding
– 1 bag mini heath bars, smashed into chunks
– 1/2 pint of heavy whipping cream
– 1 Tbsp. powdered sugar
– Bake the brownies according to package instructions
– Let cool, divide into 3 equal sections
– Make the chocolate pudding according to package directions
– Whip the heavy cream & powdered sugar until it forms stiff peaks
– In a large trifle dish, crumble 1/3 of the brownies and place on bottom
– Top with 1/3 chocolate pudding, then 1/3 whipped cream, then 1/3 Heath bar
– Repeat until you’re out of ingredients
*Alternatively, you can layer the dessert into individual wine glasses like I did in the picture. It’s a little more work, but nice for individual servings!
Kate was born and raised in Atlanta, GA and is a recent addition to the Queen City. When she’s not in the kitchen experimenting, you can find her cuddled up with a cookbook and her loyal pup, Tuck. To see more of what she’s cooking up- check out her Instagram or visit puppiesandbrunch.com