You asked for it! In our recent scoop reader survey, one thing you said you’d like to see is more food & recipes. (congrats to Anita K for winning the $50 gift card!) So look for more dining and food options. Today’s recipe is from Michelle, a local food blogger who publishes The Secret Ingredient Is…
These quinoa burrito bowls are something I just can’t get enough of lately; healthy, filling, perfect for dinner, and even better the next day as lunch leftovers. Two meals covered with just one dish? I’d call that a big victory.
Weekly taco nights are a huge staple in my house. At least once a week you’ll find us eating tacos, burritos, fajitas or the like. I absolutely adore Mexican-inspired flavors for any meal, and am a believer that the more beans and avocado, the better. As much as I love a Tuesday night fiesta dinner, I also know that eating a lot of tortillas, cheese, and rice is not always the wisest decision (especially with summer right around the corner).
These quinoa burrito bowls are the perfect way to find balance between a healthy and indulgent meal. Since quinoa is extremely rich in protein and fiber, it’s a great grain to use in place of rice. Not only do I love eating it, but I feel good knowing how beneficial it is to my diet. Packing the quinoa bowl with tons of fresh vegetables, a well-seasoned protein, some herbs, and a good-quality cheese makes the meal even more delicious.
Extra bonus that these quinoa burrito bowls can be prepped ahead of time, you can customize them to your own taste preferences, and they are great as leftovers!
A healthier dinner means you can make yourself a big pitcher of margaritas, right? It’s all about balance.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, tenders or thighs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow onions
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, diced
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- Toppings: Cotija cheese, fresh cilantro, avocado slices, sour cream, hot sauce, etc
- Cook quinoa according to packaged directions. Set aside to cool, then squeeze 1 tablespoon of fresh lime juice into the quinoa and mix well.
- In a small bowl, combine the chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, and a pinch of salt and pepper*. Heavily sprinkle the seasoning mix onto both sides of the chicken. Add a tablespoon of olive oil to a skillet over medium heat, then the onion slices, and the chicken. Cook chicken 6-9 minutes, until cooked through. Let cool, then chop up the chicken.
- Divide quinoa into bowls. Top with the chopped chicken, diced tomatoes, onions, jalapeno, bell pepper, black beans, cotija, cilantro, avocado!