Mason jars have become pretty trendy over the past few years. From Pinterest to magazines to gift shops and your favorite restaurants, you’ll find mason jars all over the place.
I personally like making “mason jar salads“. They’re quick, easy, and ideal for working women or busy moms on-the-go.
It is really easy to invent your own mason jar salad, but I do have a few tips that you might want to keep in mind as you’re preparing your jar:
- Always pour the dressing into the jar before adding any other ingredients. If you pour the dressing on last or even mid-way through, you’ll end up with a soggy saturated salad (unless you plan on eating it immediately).
- After your dressing, add all of your hard chopped veggies. You can also add ingredients, such as chickpeas, nuts, and raisins. Just be sure not to add anything that can get soupy (like croutons) or anything that will soak up all of your dressing.
- Now that your moisture-resistant veggies are in the jar, you can add any softer vegetables (like zucchini or diced tomatoes) or cheeses.
- The next layer should be reserved for proteins, such as tofu, chicken, hard-boiled eggs, turkey, salmon, etc.
- Finally- add your greens! Lettuce should be stored as far away from the dressing as possible because it has the highest likelihood of absorbing the liquid.
- Shake up your jar just before your ready to eat the salad to mix all of the ingredients together thoroughly and enjoy!