How do you repay the man who was there for every soccer game, cheered you on for dance recitals and (rightfully) criticized your first boyfriend? We’ve got a few ideas on how to make this Father’s Day one he won’t forget.
Get your brew on…
Show Dad something we’re so proud of here in Charlotte-our local breweries. The laid-back atmosphere is the perfect setting for an afternoon spent enjoying live music and good brews (but let’s be clear, the drinks are on you today).
Don’t just sip: favorites like Triple C Brewing Company, Sycamore Brewing, NoDa Brewery, OMB and Birdsong all offer free tours on most days to give you the insider’s experience.
Get in on the action…
Treat the guy who was there to cheer on your every victory to a day of baseball at BB&T ballpark
- Root for the home team while enjoying tastes from the newly opened Beer Garden and some BBQ Nachos from Queen City Q.
- Can’t make it to Sunday’s game? The Knights are at home all weekend long, so you have more than one chance to enjoy.
- Or celebrate Father’s Day at the Golf Club at Ballantyne. Dads play half off with one paid round of golf at the daily rate.
- Want to give Dad a real adreniline rush? Let him have give NASCAR racing a try at the NASCAR Racing Experience on June 20.
Where to Eat…
For lunch, check out some of Charlotte’s go-to spots for burgers and BBQ.
- At Bad Daddy’s in Dilworth, burger cravings are definitely satisfied with their neverending list of options. Pinky’s Westside Grill and Cowbell Burger & Whiskey Bar are other hot spots for the best burgers in town.
- If hot dogs are more your style, check in at JJ Red Hots and enjoy a couple of Char Heels on the roof.
- For a taste of good old NC BBQ, try Cotswold newcomer The Improper Pig, or Plaza Midwood’s Midwood Smokehouse (my dad’s personal favorite). Other BBQ musts are Sauceman’s or Mac’s Speed Shop in South End, and the no-fuss Bill Spoons BBQ on South Boulevard.
- For the manly-man, surprise him with a big bouquet of wings. Yes, buffalo wings, from Elwood’s BBQ and Burger Bar served in a delicate bouquet. Talk about Insta-worthy.
- You can also enjoy a day of brews and oysters at ROCKSALT in Myers Park. On Father’s Day they’re launching the first of their #PatioTakover series, where local breweries join forces with the seafood chefs at ROCKSALT for an afternoon of music, beer and good food.
- Also in Myers Park, NAPA on Providence is serving up their “prime rib all day” for special prices.
Activities for the Family…
- For the adventurer Dad, try a day at the U.S. National Whitewater Center. Because nothing says “I love you Dad” like holding on tight during a white water rafting ride!
- Or take the family on a hike to the top of Crowder’s Mountain. Pack a brown bag lunch to enjoy once you get to its peak. If you’re up for it, the whole family can set personal records by participating in the SuperDad 5K.
- Looking for everything that’s great about a Southern Sunday? Head to Vanlandingham Estate for their Father’s Day Lawn Party. Feast on N.C. barbecue, slaw, hush puppies and more for only $13 a plate, along with a cash beer and wine bar. Bring a blanket or lawn chairs, challenge Dad to a game of cornhole and enjoy a day outside.