For most of us, brewing a pot of fresh coffee is a morning ritual. It gets us going each day, and we cannot imagine diving into work, caring for our children, or tackling our to-do lists without that jolt of caffeine.
Well, I am going to suggest a new morning ritual- a tall glass of lemon water.
We all know that water is hydrating, but did you know that lemon contains over two-hundred enzymes, is rich in vitamin C, and it is one of the most supportive foods for the liver?
You should drink the lemon water at room temperature on an empty stomach for the best results. However, if you absolutely need to drink something hot in the morning, you can try a cup of warm water with lemon instead.
Just one cup of water each morning with about a quarter to one half of a fresh squeezed lemon can yield incredible health benefits.
1. Improves digestion by activating our digestive enzymes.
2. Helps to destroy viruses and parasites in our stomach.
3. Decreases constipation and helps to eliminate waste products more effectively.
4. Reduces bloating- which is ideal for swim suit season!
5. Detoxifies the body by stimulating the liver’s detoxifying enzymes.
6. Gives us glowing, clear skin.
7. Increases the body’s alkalinity- which in turn helps to prevent cancer cells from thriving.
If you really want to infuse your body with enzymes, follow your morning lemon water with this green lemonade smoothie. I like to drink the smoothie for breakfast, but you can also sip on it throughout the day for a healthy boost of energy.
Green Lemonade Smoothie
1 cup of water
1 head of romaine lettuce (or celery)
1 apple (cored and sliced)
1 pear (cored and sliced)
Juice of 1 whole lemon
Shaving of fresh ginger (optional)
Raw honey (to taste)
Directions: Add water and lettuce to your blender and mix until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients, and again, blend until smooth. If you find that the smoothie is a bit too thick, try adding another half cup of water. Enjoy!