During the winter months our skin is exposed to a less humid environment and cold temperatures which often lead to dry, even cracked skin, more prone to itch, discomfort and rash. Below are some tips for keeping your skin in great condition despite the elements:
Be gentle in cleansing your skin:
- Avoid very hot showers.
- Use cleanser only in essential areas and avoid on arms, legs.
- Use a gentle cleanser made for dry skin. Our favorites include: CeraVe cleanser, Cetaphil Restoraderm body wash, and Avene Cold Cream Ultra-Rich Cleansing Gel – all are non-harsh, soap free cleansers that replenish the skin’s natural moisturizing factors. (The last 2 lather nicely with a body washing sponge).
- Drinking water will NOT hydrate your skin â€“ this must be done with an applied moisturizer.
- Moisturize your skin with a thick cream. Consider a barrier cream containing ceramides such as CeraVe cream & lotion, Avene Cold Cream, or Epionce Medical Barrier Cream – all work to replenish factors in the upper layer of skin that helps your skin hydrate naturally from within.
- Seal in the moisture after a bath or shower by applying a thick layer while your skin is still damp from your shower. We like Elta’s Swiss Skin Creme Moisturizer, also called the “melting moisturizer” as it seemingly melts into the skin on contact and offers instant soothing of dry skin.
For really dry skin and hands:
- Put a humidifier in your bedroom.
- Moisturize more frequently than once a day, and after each hand wash. Charlotte Skin & Laserâ€™s Intensive Hand Cream or CeraVe Therapeutic Hand Cream are both great choices to repair and replenish.
- For cracked skin, apply Elta melting/ intensive moisturizer or Vaniply ointment. Vaniply ointment is petrolatum free as its active ingredient is dimethicone which hydrates and softens and smoothes skin. Both of these products are formulated without dyes, lanolin, fragrance, masking fragrance, parabens, and formaldehyde. (Aquaphor or plain Vaseline work well too but are very thick and goopy).
- Before outdoor activities, apply a barrier cream such as CeraVe, Epionce Medical Barrier Cream or Avene Cold Cream. Afterwards, use SkinCeuticals Hydrabalm to relieve skin irritated by cold temps, harsh wind, and dry conditions.
Keeping your skin well hydrated in the winter is the key to keeping it healthy, soft and itch free!
130 Providence Rd #100, Charlotte, NC 28207
Dr. Elizabeth Rostan is a cosmetic dermatologist trained in both laser and cosmetic surgery, and began her practice in Charlotte in 2001. She continues to stay current on the latest rejuvenation techniques and procedures in order to help women achieve their cosmetic goals comfortably and confidently. At Charlotte Skin & Laser, the experienced, caring staff focuses on a patient-centered approach to promote healthy skin and healthy lifestyles. Outside the office Dr. Rostan enjoys wine, shoes, golf, horse riding, exercise and relaxing with her husband and 2 dogs Scooter and Lucy (sign up for our newsletter to see their crazy pictures). Enjoy her skin tips at www.scoopcharlotte.com & www.charlotteskinandlaser.com.